Together we are working for a cleaner environment
KiwiRail Scenic Journeys is committed to providing our passengers with a safe, comfortable and enjoyable journey while also taking responsibility to reduce environmental impacts and contribute positively to the community.
Qualmark New Zealand Limited, New Zealand tourism's official quality agency, carries out regular quality audits of New Zealand tourism businesses and awards businesses with the official Qualmark “quality mark”.
Qualmark’s two-yearly assessment of KiwiRail Scenic Journeys was last done in July 2013 when we scored 90%.
Businesses carrying the Qualmark logo are also assessed on their environmental performance - with Enviro Awards given to top performers in five key action areas.
- Energy efficiency
As part of our assessment in July 2013, KiwiRail Scenic Journeys achieved an Enviro Silver Award – an upgrade from our previous Bronze Award. We recognize that sustainability is a journey and we have already started on that journey with a number of initiatives to improve our performance. These include:
- Energy efficiency through initiatives such as using energy efficient lighting and air conditioning on our services
- Pollution prevention through the use of non-toxic cleaners throughout our fleet of carriages
- Reducing waste through the use of recyclable packaging for our food and the use of recyclable cutlery on board
- Working with the communities we operate in through sponsorship and education programmes.
- Placing priority on the health and safety of passengers and staff
- Providing an open culture with initiatives in place to encourage staff to participate in developing ongoing sustainable practices
KiwiRail has a full sustainability report available here.