KiwiRail Scenic Journeys / kiwirailscenic.co.nz Privacy Notice
Last updated: September 5th 2013
What Personal Information About Customers Does KiwiRail Scenic Gather?
The information we learn from customers helps us personalize and continually improve your experience at kiwirailscenic.co.nz. Here are the types of information we gather.
- Information You Give Us:
We receive and store any information you enter on our Web site or give us in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our services. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customising future travel experiences for you, improving our service, and communicating with you.
- E-mail and other Communications: We use E-mail, mail, phone and other forms of communications to contact customers in relation to a service we are providing you, this is information you provide when you complete a booking with kiwirailscenic.co.nz and is used in connection with that booking. In addition, we use information obtained in relation to your use of any of our services, for purposes associated with the operation or marketing of kiwirailscenic.co.nz and its business and to disclose any such information to any of its subsidiaries, associated companies or any other person engaged in business with kiwirailscenic.co.nz from time to time. To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we may receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from kiwirailscenic.co.nz if your computer supports such capabilities. We also compare our customer list to lists received from other companies, in an effort to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our customers.
- Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we receive from other sources include search results and links, including paid listings (such as Sponsored Links from Google).
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features.
- The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of kiwirailscenic.co.nz's coolest features, and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
- Spotlight tags: Information about web site usage and visitors to our website is shared with a reputable third-party for the purpose of targeting our Internet advertisements in other sites. To do this, we use clear GIFs, or pixel tags, on this site, which allow us to recognize a browser’s cookie when a browser visits this site. The information we collect and share through this technology is not personally identifiable. For more information about our third-party advertiser or for your choices about not having this anonymous information used, please visit DoubleClick by Google.
- Transparent GIFs: We use clear GIFs, or pixel tags, provided by our ad serving company to help manage our online advertising. These clear GIFs allow our adserving company to recognize a browser’s cookie when a browser visits this site. This allows us to learn which ads bring users to our website. The information we collect and share through this technology is not personally identifiable (it does not include your name, address, telephone number or email address). For more information about our ad serving company or for your choices about not having this anonymous information used, please click here. Does KiwiRail Scenic Share the Information It Receives?Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We share customer information only as described below:
- Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control: We work closely with our affiliated businesses. In some cases, these businesses provide services with or for KiwiRail Scenic. In other cases, we provide services, or sell product lines jointly with these businesses. Where necessary we share customer information related to those transactions with that third party.
- Agents: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Promotional Offers: Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of KiwiRail Scenic customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your name and address.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy stores, subsidiaries, or business units. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the event that KiwiRail Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of KiwiRail Scenic and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of KiwiRail Scenic, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing, or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes in violation of the commitments set forth in this Privacy Notice.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- We do not reveal your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing. But the credit card number is not retained by KiwiRail Scenic after your payment has been processed.
Which Information Can I Access?
- KiwiRail Scenic gives you access to information we hold about your account and your interactions with KiwiRail Scenic for the purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information.
What Choices Do I Have?
- As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to make a purchase or to take advantage of features on the kiwirailscenic.co.nz web-site.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
- If you choose to visit kiwirailscenic.co.nz, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice and our Terms and Conditions, including limitations on damages, arbitration of disputes, and application of the laws of New Zealand. If you have any concern about privacy at kiwirailscenic.co.nz, please contact us with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it.
- Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice and the Terms and Conditions will change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, unless you have instructed us not to, but you should check our Web site frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.